domingo, 26 de octubre de 2014


Beauty icons in the 50s vs beauty icons nowadays


Do you remember how beauty icons were sixty years ago? Probably you weren’t born then, me neither. The reason why I’ve chosen this topic is because a long time ago something caught my attention. While I was on Twitter, I saw a very striking news item about a twenty-five year old girl with a stunning body who’s considered to be a plus-size model.- Then, we wonder how there can be problems of anorexia, when we are the main cause-. I consider myself to be a fashion-conscious person. I really like fashion, the haute couture, models, going shopping -these kinds of things-. The thing is that I’ve never realized how “dangerous” the fashion world can be until now. What is the definition of perfection? We all know that beauty is subjective. However, we have to be able to distinguish between “perfection” and “healthy”. So, I’m now going to compare two ideas of the perfect female body.





 Robyn Lawly considered as a plus-size model. 





In the 50s, we considered a curvy body to be the perfect one. Marilyn Monroe or Sophia Loren were both sex symbols. They were well proportioned women with long legs. These icons emphasized their tiny 60 cm waists and hips with tight dresses. Apart from their wasp waists, when we see pictures of them, we can see healthy women.
















                      
   Marilyn Monroe                                                                                              Betty Brosmer



Just the opposite is what is currently happening. When we watch Cibeles’, NYFW’s, etc fashion shows, or even when we leaf through a magazine, we can see skeleto--sorry, I mean, models who are extremely thin. I’d always imagined fashion shows to be events where girls with a healthy, beautiful, toned bodies (such as Adriana Lima) showed off the designers’ creations. In fact, I am very disappointed by the reality.  Skinny women conform to the beauty standards of our times, which produce a dangerous effect on our teenage society, because girls try to get thinner and thinner everyday as they think this is how society likes them to be.
































Thus, as the above point illustrates, mindsets change in very different ways according to the trends of the moments. Nevertheless, from my point of view, it’s good to have a role model in your life and try to copy some things about them, for instance, their style, hair colour, even how to do your make up to look like theirs. In short, it is good to have someone who is our inspiration. But, we never ought to look down on ourselves: we must learn to love ourselves and be happy with our bodies. We all are perfect in our imperfections.






Finally, I would like to recommend you a song because of its lyrics: “All about that bass”- Meghan Trainor.




Have a nice week!

Macarena

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario